Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ammonia blues...

So here is what I got with the ammonia. I tried just a fume bath, but my results were spotty and kinda weird. So I dipped them in the ammonia, then strung them for a second fume bath. (Basically this means I filled a glass jar with an inch of ammonia, strung the copper parts on a string and suspended them over the liquid when I put the lid on.) Here were the results..... Pretty cool, but I thought the finish was too matte. So I thought I'd try putting a clear acrylic coating to seal it. This has happened before, so I should have known better. The liquid application changes the patina and takes away the blue tones. Boo.... Now they're shiny, but mostly browns and yellows, and my impatient little fingers left a fingerprint on one. Grrr.... back to the drawing board.

In more successful news, my tomatillo and russian black tomato seeds have sprouted!! I can't wait for spring... ugh, I can't believe we got half a foot of snow this weekend. Boo....

No comments: