Wednesday, April 21, 2010

GREEN is my favorite color!

Tomorrow is Earth Day, so I thought I’d share 5 things I’m doing to be Green. Enjoy!

1. Eating a Vegetarian Diet
I've been a vegetarian for 15 years now. Believe it or not, eating a vegetarian diet is one of the best things you can do to help the environment. Even better than driving a Prius! http://www.alternet.org/environment/47668


There are many reasons to stop eating meat, but that’s a pretty good one! Think it’s too hard to go veg? Try eliminating just one meat-based meal per day and you’ll have a significant impact. Come on, you can do it. And it’s cheaper than buying a Prius.


2. Gardening

Gardening is one of my passions and just happens to be good for the environment. I have two small gardens based on Mel Bartholomew’s book Square Foot Gardening. This method is a more compact way to grow, and uses less water to grow.

I love heirloom seeds (www.seedsavers.com). They are a great way to support the environment because they are seeds that come from plants that have been around a long, long time. This means they are resilient and proven to be good growers, requiring less fertilizer and fewer insecticides. They are traditionally organic and are NEVER genetically modified.

I’m sure you’ve heard about the bee crisis (in fact, i blogged about it HERE), so I make sure to have plenty of wildflowers that attract bees. I also plant indigenous species so that I can use less water and fertilizer. Here in Michigan that includes day lilies, rose campion, Black-Eyed Susans and yarrow.



3. Online Banking

Online banking reduces paper usage, so we don’t do any paper bills anymore. Not only do I love that bills don’t stink up my mailbox, but we’re saving a whole lotta paper (and trees)! Some employers, including mine, have the option of online pay stubs. Good idea, Wayne State University!



4. Green Lunches

Lunchtime for me is an opportunity to be green. First, locally-grown produce not only tastes better, but it travels less and therefore uses less fuel to get to my plate. If you’re interested in the local food movement, I recommend reading Plenty by Alisa Smith and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.


Cloth Napkins

Snack Bags

Lunch Bags


Above are some links to adorable reusable lunchtime accessories! You didn’t think I used disposable lunch bags and paper towels, did you?!!



5. Cloth Diapering

Gross, right? Not really. I had reservations, but then I researched cloth diapers and talked to friends who did it. Turns out it’s not that much more work. Sure, I have to do laundry every other day. But I have a kid-- I’m doing that anyway! The amount of water used to wash the diapers turns out to be less than the amount of water used to produce disposable diapers in the first place. The biggest reward: no disposable diapers in the landfills! Yay!


And...there are super cute diapers out there! One of the most popular (and one of our favorites) is Bum Genius. There’s an entire community of parents that cloth diaper out there, so it’s super easy to get support. www.diaperswappers.com



Those are just a few ways that I try to be green. Have you learned any handy tips lately? Please share! We’d all love to hear it. And honestly, I can’t save the world by myself. So let’s posse up.



1 comment:

Megan said...

Thanks for the link to such cute reusable sandwich bags - I got one for myself and one for my mom and I hope that our lunchmates are inspired to do the same.