Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Achoo! Time for Soup.

It's cold and rainy here in the Motor City, and we all have colds.  My lungs actually hurt from coughing! My friend annie (read her blog for tips on medicinal teas and how to deal with IBS) suggested staying warm and drinking tea with raw honey.  That, I can do.  Rooibos, Chai, Green Ginger... I love you all.

I also decided to make my favorite soup, and thought I'd share this gem of a recipe. So here you go. Try it- I swear, you'll love it!  Full of good stuff like lentils, garlic, coconut milk and turmeric. If you don't eat much turmeric, let me urge you to reconsider. Read this.




Lentil and Carrot Soup with Coconut
1 cup lentils (brown or red - I use red)
1/2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
1-2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use 3 because I LOVE garlic)
1 tsp turmeric 
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cracked black peppercorns
14 oz canned tomatoes (or fresh if you like! maybe 2?)
3 cups veg. stock
1/2 can (7 oz) coconut milk
1/2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 long red chili (i just use maybe 1/4 tsp chili pepper, but you can use hot sauce too)
1. Rinse lentils and set aside.
2. In skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook until softened (5 mins.) Add garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil, breaking up with the back of the spoon. Stir 
in lentils and stock.
3. Transfer mixture to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hrs, or on high for 4-5 hours, until carrots are tender and mixture is bubbling. Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice and chili pepper and cook on high for 20-30 minutes.
4. Enjoy! (or devour like I do!) You can top with lemon slices and cilantro if you like. I’ve never tried this but the original recipe suggested it.

I am so looking forward to dinner tonight. 

While we're talking soup, you may also want to try this soup from the Compassionate Cook: Gorgeous Garlic and Greens Soup

1 comment:

Megan said...

I was fortunate enough to have Lindsay bring this delicious soup to lunch one day and it is every bit as good as it sounds.

Feel better, Lindsay!