Monday, May 24, 2010

Balancing Act


"Work, love and play are the great balance wheels of man's being"
Orison Swett Marden




Whew, what a weekend. Alistair’s 1st birthday party was a blast and he had a great time. Especially for a little guy that cut a tooth the night before and skipped his morning nap, he was the perfect guest of honor.  

Alistair and his cousin, Maddie
We also made huge progress on the garage that needs to be built as part of the agreement we have with the folks who are buying our house.  So, yay!  Getting closer.
I’m equal parts excited and sad.  A dash of nervous, and a pinch of curious about what’s to come.  But whether it’s anxiety or excitement, sometimes stress gets the better of me. And when I’m stressed, my body freaks out.  This is when I cannot get enough sleep, I start craving way more sugar than is reasonable, and unfortunately, I often start having seizure activity again. Usually nothing big, just small “auras” that are uncomfortable and unsettling. It feels kinda like a panic attack with deja vu and a hot flash. They only last 30-60 seconds and then pass.  However, they are also warning signals that show up before a full-on, pass out, twitching on the floor seizures (also known as a grand mal or tonic-clonic seizure). Not good. So I have to be really careful not to let stress get the better of me.  
The clear solution is:  get more sleep, meditate, do yoga, make art,  and go out in the fresh air.  But how will I pack this house up?  How will I cook lunch for the baby? How will I find time to shower?!!  Do laundry?! Stay sane?!!!
It’s a balancing act. 
So I really enjoyed and appreciated this article on balance and stress from Balance In Me today.  Click here to read it.  
Here’s to always finding the right balance in our lives.




No comments: