Saturday, May 29, 2010

Give yourself permission

No one grants you the right to be an artist.  You must claim it for yourself.

Even after I had earned my bachelor's degree in fine art, I still didn't feel like I had the right to call myself an "artist."   People would ask, "what do you do?" And I would reply, "well, my degree is in Fine Arts, but I'm working at such-and-such right now."  I was waiting for someone to give me permission to call myself an artist.  Until then, I would supposedly have no authority on anything I had spent over 4 years studying.  Not even the diploma on my wall was enough. I was waiting for the art fairy to suddenly appear and tap me on the head with her magical art wand and give me my title.  It never happened.

So one day I decided I had to grant myself the title of ARTIST.  I had business cards made up that said:

Lindsay Satchell
Artist

It's very simple, but it meant so much to me. I just came across one of those business cards as I was packing up my studio. That little colorful card with rainbow swirls gave me the courage to say, "I'm an artist."  I'm so glad I gave myself permission!



No comments: