Monday, July 12, 2010

Clean it up


I've been thinking a lot lately about cleanliness.  

Serious yoga students will be familiar with the Yamas and Niyamas (Restraints and Commitments) from the Yoga Sutra.  The most familiar is Ahimsa, or non-violence. The second Niyama is Saucha -  cleanliness or purity.  

From the Yoga Sutra 2.40, "If you make cleanliness a way of life, then you will never find yourself in crowds of the filthy." 
Saucha in Sanskrit

I've been so sad to watch the oil spill in the gulf going on for so long, causing so much filth and destruction.  And if Karma is true, then perhaps we can see the gulf get clean again if we practice more Saucha in our lives.  

I *could* start by cleaning my kitchen... but I think I'll start by cleaning my yoga mat. How's yours doing?   

Here are some good tips for cleaning your yoga mat.  Or try this- tranquility yoga mat cleaner.  How do you clean your mat? How do you keep your world clean?

No comments: