Monday, January 23, 2012

Zoom out of the chaos

I'm trying to be patient as I wait for my next fabric to arrive. Here's the link to it on Spoonflower -  Double Hexagon Fabric   You can actually purchase my fabrics there! So cool.

I had a blast making this. And it was so simple. First, I stamped out a new design of hexagons. Here it is, on my inspiration board next to my computer. (Along with 1treeyoga's lovely flier, a Christmas card, some flower pics, hubby and I in '03, my two-year old, and an old drawing of my friend sleeping.)

Then I scanned it in and broke apart the groups:

 Next I copied, pasted, rotated, and merged until I got this:
Then I loaded it into Spoonflower and played with their options for repetition and size of the image. Then this amazing thing happened - a beautiful pattern emerged out of seeming randomness. Isn't that how life is, though? It seems like random chaos until we zoom out enough to see the overall pattern.

Anyway, I'm super excited to get my fat quarter in the mail. Still deciding what to make. Any suggestions? Keep it simple, folks. I'm no seamstress, just a girl who loves her Singer.

No comments: