Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Practice makes Practice

"If you only practice once a week, then you're just using Shakti (energetic force or spark) to move you forward. You have to practice more than that to make any real progress."

That's more or less what my teacher told me this weekend. I've been going to yoga class about 2 times a week, and not practicing at home. And I'm having trouble with muscle cramps and instability in my core. So she's right. If I want to move my practice forward and make real progress, I have to commit to more regular practice.

Isn't this true of anything? I know it's true for making art. If I wait until I'm inspired to make art, I won't be making much art. And if I don't make much art, nothing new or interesting happens. It's a discipline, a commitment to my art to get in my studio and work. And the more I create, the more I am inspired to create. Whether something exciting happens or not, I must work.

And if I want change and transformation to happen in my yoga practice, I must get on my mat.
Latest work in my studio. Watercolor and colored pencil on wood.

FYI, maybe you've noticed I haven't been using my FB page much lately. Most likely you haven't noticed, because FB stopped sharing my posts with all of my fans. I don't really understand the changes, but I know only about 10% of my fans see what I post. So look for announcements and updates here on my blog! Feel free to subscribe- I promise not to jam up your inbox.  

Wishing you a steady practice of whatever makes you happy!!

~L

No comments: